Thursday, March 10, 2011

Nothin but Knit

As promised, here is the completed diary cover in all its glory:

Pretend there is a book in it. See the linen stitch on the left side of the book cover? That is where the spine goes. Here's an adorable picture of it open:

Isn't that cute? It looks like it is pretending to be a full-fledged grown-up book.

Look at that detail!!


The flaps are curling because they are in stockinette. Once I put it on the book (a tight fit (which is a good thing)) I had to secure it somehow. The pattern calls for a ribbon, which I was ready for (by the way, this photo most accurately represents the real colors of the yarn):

Cute, eh? Depressingly, two things happened. 1) The instructions made zero sense and were obviously an afterthought. 2) It wasn't needed, like, at all. I decided a ribbon that ended up being only decoration was stupid unnecessary, since the knitting is the main attraction and it was hard so I wanted to show it off. I secured the cover to the book like so:

That image is so poor because it's taken with a fancy dancy phone, not a fancy dancy camera, like the other ones.

Simply sewing the thing on there with a needle and an extra piece of yarn = easy! Now nothing distracts from the cover. I so smart.

For those who are wondering, that book is a 8" x 5". I wouldn't recommend the pattern for those who want to put on a book they will write a lot in because of the bumpiness, but it works excellently on the little day planner and it looks very adorable. Kathryn was greatly pleased.











No comments: