Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Irene's Israeli Beannie

It turns out I like to knit ribbing. Quite a bit. It's perfect on the little circulars while watching movies, having a conversation, even reading a blog or textbook. I think it is due to the fact that it is very obvious when you knitted when you're supposed to purl or vice versa. So obvious, in fact, that I eventually could tell by feel when something went amiss. So I decided to knit my first request; a beannie for my mother-in-law's birthday. Billy saw me knitting it and got a little jealous so I let him try it on for size:


It was a little small so I continued knitting. Here's some detail on that bad boy:

The yarn is, per usual, Red Heart Super Saver worsted acrylic. I loved the colors on it. Here it is finished, waiting for the recipient (she loved it):




I wasn't going to tell you this, but I can tell that you deserve to know a little secret.

There is a mistake on this hat.

A rather big mistake that I didn't see until a point where I couldn't fix it (for all my talk of "feeling" mistakes as they happen). Let me explain.

As you get towards the end, you're on the edge of your seat happily working on scary dpn's and as you decrease, the stitches come off the needles with little loops that eventually straighten out when you pull the last thread taut. I didn't realize this (since my only other experience with this hat is with black yarn) and thought I had dropped a stitch and picked it up and continued knitting happily along. I'm not sure how the stitches ended up with the correct amount on the needle but here's what the mistake looks like:


Fortunately, the hat is reversible so I turned it inside out and it looks great! It'll just be our little secret though, ok? Shh.



No comments: