Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Let's Kick Things Up a Notch, Shall We?

I bet you are as excited about garter stitch and k2p2 ribbing as I am. In other words, smiling politely while thinking about what to Tivo for tomorrow. It's ok. The simple kind of knitting has it's purposes and is perfect for when one feels like a zombie and just wants something to distract one's hands. However there are moments when one feels like learning something (foolish as that may be).

My next project is called a "Vampire Diary Protector" from the ridiculous book with cute things:


Ignore the 'Twilight" connotations, please.

Do I even need to say that it was in Red Heart Super Saver worsted acrylic? Do I still need to make that stupid typo and correct "Savor" to "Saver"? I wasn't going to this time, but my accountant way of thinking is going to make me keep answering yes to both questions so that if I want to look at these posts later I can see what kind of yarn I used. Darn me.

I am going to tease you a little bit and reveal how it all looks tomorrow, and only show you how it starts out here:

I know that it is sort of hard to see, so let me give you another chance to soak in the AWESOME:


Not only are those cables, those are DOUBLE HORSESHOE cables. Yes that is linen stitch in between. For you to TOTALLY soak it in I'm going to give you one more glimpse. Here is how the pattern gives a very important and very repeated step (note the whole, rows 14 - 69 thing). Let's follow along:

"Rows 14 - 69: Repeat Row 2 on all even rows and repeat Row 1 on all odd rows EXCEPT Rows 21, 29, 37, 45, 53, 61 and 69, which should be worked as Row 5."

Go ahead and read it again, I'll wait. Reading it again didn't help much, did it? This is how your face looks from here:


Despite all that this pattern is a blast. I feel very rewarded. I have learned a lot, even how to fix dropping cabled stitches along with a half a linen stitch repeat. I am more pleased now than I was at the time, trust me.

1 comment:

rene said...

That's a lovely color AND a very interesting pattern. You should forward it to me. I'd like to do a sweater in that pattern.

On another note, most everything I have ever done has a small error. It is what makes them mine. I LOVE my hat.