Tuesday, January 01, 2013

In Which I am Beside Myself

This morning, the first day of 2013, I was awoken at a reasonable time by a text message from a friend informing me of his immediate plans to kill himself. He was currently in an abandoned laundry mat and trying to calculate the quietest and quickest way, and was deciding on an overdose.

My husband and I managed to keep him texting (his preferred method of contact) for an hour but he ended the conversation with "I just got arrested" and then two minutes later "It was nice knowing you. You're the only person I bothered to contact".

I have no idea if getting arrested was a lie or the truth. I've never hoped so much for someone I know to be arrested.. then he would be watched and he wouldn't be alone. I don't know where he is or what he's doing. I don't know if he's alive.

I contacted a member of his family through Facebook, for I had no other choice. Besides that, I am impotent in my abilities for further action. All I can do is stare into space and let the water drip. He's the only friend I've made in this new town and the thought of losing of him is unbearable. I have no words.

*Edit* He is alive and in a better place.

No comments: